- 10 feijoas
- 3 apples, roughly chopped
- 600ml water
- 600g white sugar
1. Remove skin from feijoas, set aside. Roughly chop feijoa flesh, set aside.
2. Put feijoa skin and apple into a saucepan, then barely cover with water. Cook until soft and mushy. This will make the cooking liquid for the feijoa.
3. Strain cooked fruit through a fine sieve into a large pot, making sure to push down hard on the apples to get out all the juice. Add feijoa mixture to liquid and cook until soft.
4. Push feijoa mixture through a sieve or mash to produce feijoa pulp.
5. Add sugar to feijoa pulp and stir until dissolved.
6. Cook slowly on lowest heat, stirring every 2-3 minutes until thick. This will take about 2 hours. When it’s ready, the spoon will leave a path in the mixture and will start to come away from the sides.
7. Line a slice tin with baking paper and quickly pour paste in. Smooth the top.
8. Place aside to set, then cut into squares, wrap in paper and store in an airtight container in the fridge.
9. Serve with cheese and crackers on a platter