Pork Casserole with Apple Couscous
- 1½ Tbsp vegetable or olive oil
- 1kg pork shoulder, trimmed, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1½ cups apple juice
- 2 large carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 2 large potatoes, peeled, cut into 2cm pieces
- ¼ cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 large green apple, unpeeled, cored, finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced). Heat half the oil in a 1.5 litre ovenproof dish over a high heat. Add pork, in two batches. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes, or until seared. Transfer to a large plate.
2. Heat 1 teaspoon of remaining oil in dish over medium-low heat. Add onion and fennel seeds. Cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until softened. Stir in apple juice, carrot and pork. Bring to the boil. Remove from heat. Cover with a lid or foil. Place in oven and bake for 1 hour.
3. Add potatoes and bake, covered, for a further 25 minutes or until potato is tender. Stir in half the parsley.
4. Bring 1 cup water and remaining oil to a boil in a medium saucepan over a high heat. Stir in couscous. Remove from heat. Cover, set aside for 5 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. Using a fork, fluff and separate couscous. Stir in apple.
5. Spoon couscous topped with pork mixture and remaining parsley sprinkled on top.
Tip: To make a gluten free option, replace couscous with quinoa (cooked according to packet).