Pork and Apple Sausage Roll
- 1 Tbsp fennel seeds, toasted
- 500g pork mince
- 1 large apple, cored, grated, plus 1 extra, julienned
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups mixed salad leaves, to serve
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1½ Tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced). Preheat oven tray.
2. In a mortar and pestle, bruise the fennel seeds.
3. Transfer seeds to a large bowl and add mince, grated apple and spring onion. Season, and mix well.
4. Shape half the mince mixture into a log lengthways along middle of 1 pastry sheet. Score pastry on either side of mince at angled 1cm intervals. Fold strips over mince, alternating sides, to create a criss-cross pattern. Repeat with remaining mixture and pastry.
5. Transfer rolls to the preheated oven tray. Brush the top of the rolls with egg, then bake for 35 minutes, or until pastry is puffed and golden.
6. To make the mustard cream: in a small bowl combine the ingredients and season to taste.
7. Serve warm sausage rolls in slices, with mustard cream, mixed salad leaves and julienned apple.