Oregano Beef Casserole with Garlic Parsnip Puree
- 2 Tbsp vegetable or rice bran oil
- 900g beef stewing steak, trimmed, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 large onions, halved, thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots, coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 cups salt-reduced beef stock, plus 1 Tbsp extra
- 300g broccoli, cut into small florets
- 800g parsnips, peeled
How to Speed Up Dinner Prep
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Heat half the oil in a 2 litre ovenproof casserole dish over high heat. Add beef and cook in two batches, for 2 minutes, or until seared. Transfer to a heatproof plate.
2. Add onion and carrot to dish and cook, stirring for 5 minutes. Crush half the garlic and add with oregano to dish, stirring for 30 seconds. Add stock, return beef to dish and bring to the boil. Cover with a lid and bake for 1 hour 30 minutes. Stir in broccoli. Bake, covered, for 5 minutes, or until broccoli is tender. Remove from oven.
3. Quarter parsnips lengthways. Using a small sharp knife, remove woody centres. Chop coarsely, steam parsnip with remaining garlic for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Place in a heatproof bowl with remaining oil and extra stock. Using an electric stick mixer, purée until smooth. Serve with beef casserole.
Tip: Searing meat first locks in flavour and gives colour to the meat.