Chilli and Mandarin Caramel Chicken
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- Finely grated zest and juice of 2 mandarins, plus 2 extra mandarins, peeled and segmented
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- Steamed Asian greens, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced). Line a roasting pan with baking paper.
2. In a small bowl, combine oil, chilli powder and mandarin zest. Rub over chicken. Season to taste. Arrange in a single layer in pan.
3. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until skin is crispy and chicken is cooked through.
4. Meanwhile, combine sugar, water and half of the mandarin juice in a medium saucepan. Stir over a low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high. Boil, uncovered for 4-5 minutes, or until thickened and lightly golden. Remove from heat. Stir in remaining mandarin juice and soy. Stir in mandarin segments.
5. Spoon mixture over chicken and serve with steamed Asian greens.
Tip: To make this gluten free use tamari sauce instead of soy sauce.