Feijoa, Lemon and Coconut Muffins
- 5 feijoas, skin removed
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 100g melted butter
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1½ cups self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
1. Preheat oven to 190°C (170°C fan-forced.
2. Grease a 12-hole muffin tray.
3. In a blender, blend together the feijoas, lemon juice, zest, melted butter, sugar, egg and vanilla essence until smooth.
4. In a medium bowl, add flour, coconut, baking soda, mixed spice and salt, stirring with a whisk to combine.
5. Pour the dry mixture over feijoa mixture and mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
6. Pour mixture into each muffin hole, filling to three-quarters full.
7. For the topping, mix together caster sugar and lemon zest, then sprinkle a little over each muffin mixture.
8. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the middle.
Tip: Lining your muffin tins with baking paper squares or cupcake cases makes washing up so much easier.