Beef and Mushroom Pie with Cheese Pastry
- 500g stewing beef, cubed
- 2 Tbsp flour, seasoned
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 125g portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Mixed salad leave, to serve
How to Chop an Onion
1. Preheat oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced).
2. In a shallow bowl, toss the beef in the flour to coat, shaking off any excess. In an ovenproof
casserole dish, heat half the oil on high. Brown the beef for 3-4 minutes, turning. Transfer to a plate.
3. Heat the remaining oil in the same dish. Sauté the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes, or until the onion is tender. Add the mushrooms and tomato paste, then cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the mushrooms soften.
4. Return the beef and any juices to the dish and add the stock, wine, Worcestershire sauce and rosemary. Bring to a simmer.
5. Cover casserole dish with a lid, place in oven and bake, for 1½ hours.
6. Remove the lid and bake for a further 25-30 minutes, or until the beef is tender and the sauce thickens. Remove from oven and cool.
7. Increase oven to 220°C (200°C fan-forced). Divide the beef mixture evenly among four 1½ cup ramekins. Lightly grease the rims and place on an oven tray.
8. Sprinkle cheese over one pastry sheet. Top with the second sheet and roll out to a 28cm x 28cm square, then cut into 4 equal pieces.
9. Cover each dish with a pastry square, trimming off any excess pastry. Brush with a little egg and prick the centre with a fork. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the pastry is puffed and golden. Serve with mixed salad leaves.