Flourless Chocolate Meringue Cake
- 15g butter, chopped plus extra, for greasing
- 200g dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 Tbsp instant coffee granules
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups almond meal
- 1⁄4 cup raspberry jam
- 1⁄2 cup dark chocolate drops, melted
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced. Grease and line a deep, 22cm round springform pan.
2. In a small saucepan, combine chocolate, butter and coffee. Stir over a low heat until smooth. Cool slightly.
3. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat egg yolks and sugar together until thick and creamy. Add chocolate mixture, then almond meal, beating until combined.
4. In a large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Using a metal spoon, gently fold through chocolate mixture. Pour into pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes until cooked. Leave to cool in pan.
5. To make the meringue, increase heat to 220°C (200°C fan-forced. In a clean, large bowl, beat egg whites using an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until sugar dissolves and foam is stiff, thick and glossy. Beat in lemon juice.
6. Spread cake with jam, then meringue. Bake for 5-10 minutes until meringue is lightly browned. Serve drizzled with melted chocolate.
- If preferred, swirl melted chocolate through the meringue before dolloping onto cake and baking
- Use the leftover egg yolks to make custard or mix them with a couple of whole eggs to make a rich scrambled egg or omelette