Lemon Thyme Roast Chicken
- 1.9kg whole chicken, washed and dried
- 8 small brown onions, ends trimmed, peeled, halved
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 bunch fresh thyme, woody stems trimmed
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 cups dry white wine
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Place chicken in a large, non-metallic roasting dish. Tie legs together with kitchen string and tuck wings underneath.
2. Add onions, lemon, thyme and garlic to the dish. Pour wine over the chicken, season to taste and cover with plastic wrap. Chill for 30 minutes, turning once. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
3. Bake chicken, basting occasionally with pan juices, for 1 hour 15 minutes or until golden brown and the juices run clear when the thigh is pierced with a skewer. Cover with foil and set aside to rest for 10-15 minutes, before carving.
Tip: Wash the chicken before baking by rinsing under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towels, inside and out.