Lemon and Basil Roast Chicken
- 1.5kg chicken pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped basil leaves, plus extra to serve
- Juice of 1 lemon, plus 1 lemon cut into wedges
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 chicken stock cube, crumbled
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 500g baby potatoes, halved
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 eggplant, cut into 3cm chunks
- 250g punnet cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup white wine or water
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
2. In a large bowl, combine chicken, basil, lemon juice, lemon wedges, 2 tablespoons of oil, garlic and stock. Toss to combine and season with salt and pepper.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the remaining oil, potatoes and onion and season.
4. In a large baking dish, arrange chicken and vegetables. Bake for 25 minutes. Add eggplant and tomatoes, then pour over wine or water. Stir gently.
5. Bake for a further 15-20 minutes. Arrange on a platter, sprinkle with extra basil and serve.
To check your chicken is cooked, insert a skewer into the thickest part of the biggest piece of chicken and if the liquid runs clear, it’s cooked.
* Check your chicken stock is gluten free.