Marinated Lamb Leg with Mint Sauce
- 1.8kg lamb leg roast
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped thyme
- 1 Tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chargrilled capsicum, to serve
- Chargrilled courgettes, to serve
- Chargrilled kumara, to serve
- Mint sauce:
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped mint
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
1. Place lamb in a large roasting dish.
2. In a small jug, combine wine, thyme, mustard and garlic. Season to taste. Pour over the lamb and turn to coat. Cover and leave in the fridge for at least 2 hours, or overnight. Turn occasionally. Remove from fridge 30 minutes before roasting.
3. Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced). Roast lamb for 15 minutes. Reduce oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced), and bake for 1 hour for medium rare (or longer, if preferred).
4. To make the mint sauce, combine mint and boiling water in a bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes. Add sugar and vinegar, stirring to dissolve. Leave to cool.
5. Remove lamb from oven and leave to rest, loosely covered with foil, for 15 minutes.
6. Slice lamb and serve with mint sauce and vegetables on the side.
If you have leftover wine, freeze it in ice cube trays so you can use it in recipes like this one which only require a small amount of wine.