Hot Cross Bun Easter Trifle
- 85g packet berry flavoured jelly crystals
- 500ml boiling water
- 6 chocolate hot cross buns
- 825g can pear halves
- 750g store-bought thick vanilla custard
- 300ml cream
- 1 Tbsp caster sugar
How to Whip Perfect Cream
1. Prepare jelly as per packet instructions. Refrigerate until set, then cut into cubes.
2. Cut hot cross buns into 1.5cm cubes. Set aside about half of the cubes for garnish. Sprinkle remaining cubes over the base of a 2L capacity glass serving bowl.
3. Drain the pears, reserving 2 tablespoons of the liquid. Cut pears into slices.
4. Layer pears, reserved liquid, jelly and custard over the bun cubes. Cover and refrigerate trifle until required.
5. Preheat oven grill to a high heat. Place remaining bun cubes in a single layer on a roasting dish. Cook until lightly toasted on all sides, turning occasionally. Allow to cool.
6. When ready to serve, beat cream and sugar together with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Spread cream over custard layer and place toasted bun cubes on the top