Apple and Pear Hot Cross Bun Crumble
- 2 hot cross buns, torn
- 1/3 cup natural almonds
- 75g butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 4 peeled, cored and chopped apples
- 3 peeled, cored and chopped pears
- 1 Tbsp plain flour
- 1 cup apple juice
- To serve
- Whipped cream
- Torn mint leaves
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Lightly grease a 6-cup baking dish.
2. In a food processor, pulse hot cross buns, almonds and 25g butter together until roughly chopped. Set aside.
3. In a large, heavy-based saucepan, melt remaining butter over a medium heat. Add sugar and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring, until dissolved in the butter. Mix in apples and pears, then cook for 2-3 minutes until just tender. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
4. Mix in apple juice and simmer, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until sauce boils and thickens slightly. Pour into prepared dish.
5. Scatter crumble mixture over the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and bubbles appear around the edge.
6. Serve crumble topped with whipped cream and mint leaves.
This is a great way of using up leftover or stale hot cross buns.