French Toast with Syrupy Plums
- 300 ml thickened cream
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 2 Tbsp icing sugar plus extra, to dust (optional)
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract, plus 1½ tsp for syrupy plums
- 200g mascarpone, plus extra to serve
- 50g chopped butter
- 12 slices toast bread
- Syrupy plums ingredients
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 ripe plums, stones removed, cut into wedges
1. In a large jug, whisk together the cream, eggs, half of the icing sugar and vanilla extract together.
2. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the mascarpone and remaining icing sugar together.
3. To make the syrupy plums; in a small saucepan, combine sugar, water and vanilla extract. Stir on low heat until sugar dissolves. Add fruit and bring to the boil on high. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 1-2 minutes, until syrupy. Remove from heat.
4. To make french toast; melt butter in a frying pan on high, until foaming. Dip each toast slice into egg mixture to coat well. Cook bread for 1 minute each side, or until golden brown. Place on a serving plate.
5. Spoon fruit and syrup over toast. Dust with icing sugar. Accompany with a dollop of mascarpone.