Quinoa and Corn Stuffed Capsicums
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 capsicums, tops cut off, seeds and piths removed
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp chilli powder (optional)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup white or red quinoa
- 400g can corn kernels, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup sliced pitted black olives
- 1/2 cup chopped Italian parsley plus extra for garnish
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 125g sour cream
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
2. Rub 1 tablespoon of the oil over the capsicum skins. Season to taste. Place capsicums in a single layer on a baking tray with the cut side up. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until slightly tender. Add pumpkin seeds to tray for final 5 minutes, or until puffed and toasted.
3. Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Sauté onion for 1-2 minutes or until tender. Stir in garlic and chilli (optional) and cook for 30 seconds.
4. Add stock and quinoa. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Remove from heat and set aside, covered for 10 minutes. Stir corn, olives and parsley through. Season to taste.
5. Fill capsicums with quinoa mixture. Serve each capsicum topped with avocado and sour cream. Sprinkle with toasted pumpkin seeds and garnish with the extra parsley.
Fresh Tip: For a non gluten free option you can replace quinoa with couscous.
• Energy 2609Kj • Protein 17g • Total Fat 35g • Saturated Fat 9g • Carbohydrates 52g • Sugars 19g • Sodium 974mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation.