Tomato and Cajun Chicken Skewers with Green Rice
- 500g chicken thigh fillets, cut into 2cm cubes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 250g cherry tomatoes
- 12 bamboo skewers, soaked in water
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock
- ¾ cup long-grain white rice
- ½ cup frozen peas, thawed
- 50g baby spinach leaves
1. In a large bowl combine chicken, oil and Cajun seasoning. Mix well to coat. Thread chicken and tomatoes, alternating each, onto 12 skewers. Set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine stock and rice. Cover and bring to the boil on high, then reduce heat to low. Cook, covered for 10-12 minutes, or until rice is just tender and stock absorbed. Remove from heat. Stir peas and spinach through. Cover again, and set aside for 5 minutes.
3. Preheat a grill pan or barbecue to a medium heat. Cook skewers for 10-15 minutes, turning, until cooked through and brown. Serve skewers on a bed of the rice.
Tip: Soaking skewers in water helps prevent burning during cooking.
For a variation, replace Cajun seasoning with a mixture of ½ cup Greek yoghurt and 2 tablespoons of tandoori paste.
*Check that your Cajun seasoning and chicken stock are gluten free.