Homemade Christmas Mince Pies
- 200g dried fruit mix
- 400g sultanas
- 100g currants
- 3 apples, peeled and grated
- 1 Tbsp orange rind
- Rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ cup toasted chopped almonds
- Butter, for greasing
- 4 sheets pre-rolled sweet pastry
- Icing sugar, for dusting
What to do with leftover pastry
1. To make the fruit mince, in a large bowl, combine the fruit mix, sultanas, currants, apples, orange rind, lemon rind and juice. Add the sugar, mixed spice, cinnamon, cloves and combine well. Spoon into a screw-top jar and keep in the fridge until needed.
2. When ready to make the pies, preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Take the mince out from the fridge and stir through the almonds.
3. Lightly grease 2 x 12 hole mini muffin tins. Cut 24 rounds of pastry using a 7cm round cutter or rim of a glass. Gently press the pastry into the muffin tins. Spoon a teaspoonful of fruit mince into each pastry shell.
4. Using the remainder of the pastry, cut festive shapes to decorate the tops of the pies.
5. Place into the oven for 20 minutes and bake until golden. Remove and cool for 5 minutes before removing from the muffin tins.
6. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 weeks. To serve, warm slightly and dust with icing sugar.