Silver Fern Farms Cuban-style Beef Flat-Iron Sandwich
- 1 pack Silver Fern Farms beef flat-iron steaks
- olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ground chipotle powder
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 cup good quality mayonnaise
- 1 Ciabatta loaf
- 2 cups watercress, stems, stalks removed
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 charred red capsicums, peeled, seeds removed
- 4 tsp french mustard
- sliced dill pickles
1. Remove Silver Fern Farm Beef Flat-Iron Steaks from fridge and packaging. Season with freshly cracked pepper and 1 teaspoon olive oil. Allow to rest at room temperature for 10 minutes. Salt the meat just prior to cooking.
2. Grind the garlic, coriander, onion powder, chipotle powder, and cumin together in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle. Rub half of the mix over the Silver Fern Farm Beef Flat-Iron Steaks. Mix the remaining spice mix into the mayonnaise and mix well. Cover and set aside.
3. Slice the loaf through the middle, lengthways, then into four pieces. Lightly oil the bread on one side. Heat a frying pan on a medium to high heat and grill the bread on the outsides. Set grilled bread to the side.
4. Heat pan to medium and grill the Silver Fern Farm Beef Flat-Iron Steaks on each side for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat, cover the meat with foil and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Once rested, slice the Silver Fern Farm Beef Flat-Iron Steaks across the grain into thin pieces.
5. Assemble sandwiches starting with bottom four slices of bread, grill side down. Spread each slice with spicy mayonnaise, top with charred capsicums, watercress and sliced Silver Fern Farm Beef Flat-Iron Steaks. Serve with mustard, dill pickle and top with remaining bread.
Alternatively, you could use a sandwich press to toast the sandwiches.
These sandwiches are best grilled in a sandwich press or served as an open sandwich.