Rapid Roast Chicken with Potatoes, Kumara and Thyme
- 1 butterfly chicken
- 1 onion, cut in chunks
- 6 whole garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 capsicum, deseeded, cut in chunks
- 300g potatoes, cut in chunks
- 1 kumara, peeled, cut in chunks
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp thyme
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
2. Toss vegetables in 1 tablespoon of oil and place in a single layer in a large roasting pan.
3. Nestle the chicken in to the vegetables, skin-side up. Drizzle over the remaining oil and bake for 30 minutes.
4. Remove from the oven, turn the vegetables, add the stock and bake a further 25-30 minutes until the chicken is cooked. Prick the deepest part of the thigh and press – the juices should run clear. Once cooked, remove chicken and rest for 5 minutes.
5. Transfer vegetables to a large serving platter.
6. Add lemon juice to the roasting pan and mix in with the pan juice.
7. Serve chicken and vegetables with the pan sauce spooned over the top.
Tip: To butterfly a chicken yourself, place chicken breast-side down and working from the cavity up to neck, cut along each side of the back bone with kitchen scissors. Discard backbone. Open chicken and slice through the white cartilage at the tip of the breastbone to pop it open.