Homemade Tomato Sauce
- 3 1/2 kg ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 3 onions, finely diced
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 cups malt vinegar
- 2 Tbsp salt
- 2 Tbsp pickling spice
- Muslin cloth or a clean tea towel
How to Chop an Onion
1. Place the tomatoes, onions, garlic, sugar, vinegar and salt in a large pan.
2. Place the pickling spice in a square of muslin or clean tea towel, and tie it closed with kitchen string. Add the muslin bag of pickling spice to the pan.
3. Bring the tomato mixture to the boil and boil it steadily, stirring occasionally, for 2-2½ hours, or until the mixture is thick and pulpy. Discard the muslin bag of pickling spice.
4. Press the mixture through a sieve to remove the tomato seeds and skins. Return the sauce to the pan and boil it for a further 5 minutes.
5. Pour the sauce through a funnel into sterilised bottles or jars while it is hot and seal them.
Tip: Store the bottles of sauce in a cool, dark place away from direct sunlight until ready to use.