Chocolate and Pistachio Toffee Brittle
- 250g butter, coarsely chopped, plus extra for greasing
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 tsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 180g chocolate, chopped
- 1/3 cup roasted, unsalted shelled pistachio nuts, finely chopped
1. Grease and line a large baking tray.
2. Stir butter, sugar and water in a medium heavy-based saucepan over low heat until sugar is dissolved and butter has melted. Increase heat and bring to a boil, stirring continuously until toffee mixture turns a caramel colour. This takes about 10 minutes.
3. Remove pan from the heat and allow bubbles to subside. Stir in vanilla extract.
4. Drop tablespoons full of toffee mixture onto prepared trays. Stand until set.
5. Pour nuts in a layer on a plate, for dipping.
6. To melt the chocolate, place in a microwave safe bowl and cook on high for 30 seconds. Stir, then repeat until melted and smooth.
7. Dip toffee into chocolate, then in nuts, then place back on to the trays. Refrigerate until chocolate is set.
If you prefer, you can make one large slab of toffee. Pour the toffee mixture onto a lined oven tray and stand until set. Spread the back of the toffee slab with melted chocolate then sprinkle with the nuts. Refrigerate until the chocolate is set, then break toffee into pieces before serving.