Dark Chocolate Chia Energy Balls
- 1 cup dates
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup puffed rice
- 200g dark chocolate
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- Desiccated coconut, finely chopped pistachio nuts, chia seeds, to coat (optional)
1. Place the dates in a small bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside for 5-10 minutes.
2. Drain the liquid off and transfer the dates to a food processor. Add the ground almonds, cocoa powder, coconut oil, honey, peanut butter, chia seeds and vanilla extract. Blitz until smooth, scraping down the sides, until a thick paste forms. Gently stir through the puffed rice.
3. Line a baking tray with baking paper. With wet hands, roll tablespoonfuls of mixture into balls and place on the baking tray.
4. Refrigerate until firm, about 2-3 hours. To make the coating, place chocolate and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl and cook on high for 20-30 seconds. Stir and repeat until completely melted.
5. Place the coconut, pistachios or chia seeds in separate, shallow dishes. Use a fork or skewer to dip a ball in the chocolate mixture, then roll in your preferred coating. Return to the lined baking tray. Repeat with the remaining balls. Chill for a further 1-2 hours, until the chocolate is set.
Tip: Store in an airtight container, in the fridge for up to 1 week.