Mussels with Garlic Crumbs
- 1 kg mussels, in their shells, scrubbed and beards removed
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp lemon rind, finely grated
- 2 Tbsp Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Lemon wedges, to serve
1. Bring the water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add mussels and boil, covered, for about 7 minutes or until mussels open. (Discard any that don’t.)
2. Meanwhile, combine breadcrumbs, garlic, lemon rind and parsley in small bowl.
Preheat grill on high.
3. Fully open each shell and discard the top shells. Detach flesh from the shells with a spoon and place back.
4. Place shells in a single layer on a baking tray. Sprinkle with breadcrumb mixture, and drizzle with oil.
5. Cook under the grill for about 3 minutes or until browned.
6. Transfer to a serving platter, season to taste and serve with lemon wedges on the side.