Courgette, Bacon and Feta Tartlets
- Butter or spray oil, for greasing
- 3 sheets savoury shortcrust pastry, semi-thawed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 4 rashers streaky bacon, diced
- 2 medium courgettes, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup cream
- Ground black pepper
- 50g feta cheese, diced
- Finely chopped parsley, for garnish
How to Chop Herbs
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease 3 x 12-hole mini muffin trays with butter or oil.
2. Using a cookie cutter or rim of a glass, cut the pastry into 6cm discs and press into the base of the muffin trays. Chill in the fridge until required.
3. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan on high and sauté the onion, bacon, courgette and garlic for 3-4 minutes until starting to brown, and the courgette is tender. Leave to cool for 5 minutes.
4. Remove muffin trays from the fridge, and spoon mixture into the pastry shells.
5. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, salt and pepper and pour into the pastry shells, allowing the mixture to drizzle through the courgette mix and fill the tarts. Place a cube of feta in each and bake for 12-15 minutes until golden.
6. Leave to cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then place on a serving platter and sprinkle with parsley.
Tip: Store any leftover feta in a brine made of 1 tablespoon of salt dissolved in 1 cup of water. This will help the feta last longer.
• Energy 839Kj • Protein 4g • Total Fat 15g • Saturated Fat 8g • Carbohydrates 13g • Sugars 1g • Sodium 279mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation