Blinis with Bacon and Avocado
- 3/4 cup self-raising flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 4 bacon rashers, rind removed, finely chopped
- 20g butter, melted
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1 ripe avocado, finely chopped
- Ground black pepper
1. Sift flour and salt into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre.
2. In a seperate bowl, whisk buttermilk and egg. Add to the flour mixture, whisking constantly, until smooth. Cover with plastic food wrap and leave in the fridge for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat a large frying pan over a moderate heat. Cook bacon, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until crisp. Leave to drain on paper towels.
4. Wipe the pan clean and place back on the element. Brush with melted butter.
5. Drop 6 individual teaspoonfuls of batter into the pan. Spread to 5cm rounds. Cook 1-2 minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface and bottom is golden. Turn and cook a further 1-2 minutes, until golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
6. To serve, arrange the blinis on a platter. Top with sour cream, avocado, bacon and sprinkle with black pepper.
You can easily make your own buttermilk by mixing 3/4 cup of milk with 2 teaspoons of lemon juice or white vinegar. Leave for a couple of minutes to curdle.
• Energy 404Kj • Protein 3g • Total Fat 7g • Saturated Fat 3g • Carbohydrates 4g • Sugars 1g • Sodium 187mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation