Blini with Bacon and Avocado
- 3/4 cup self-raising flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 4 bacon rashers, rind removed, finely chopped
- 20g butter, melted
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1 ripe avocado, finely chopped
- Ground black pepper
1. Sift flour and salt into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre.
2. In a seperate bowl, whisk buttermilk and egg. Add to the flour mixture, whisking constantly, until smooth. Cover with plastic food wrap and leave in the fridge for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat a large frying pan over a moderate heat. Cook bacon, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until crisp. Leave to drain on paper towels.
4. Wipe the pan clean and place back on the element. Brush with melted butter.
5. Drop 6 individual teaspoonfuls of batter into the pan. Spread to 5cm rounds. Cook 1-2 minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface and bottom is golden. Turn and cook a further 1-2 minutes, until golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
6. To serve, arrange the blinis on a platter. Top with sour cream, avocado, bacon and sprinkle with black pepper.
Tip: For something a bit different, try replacing bacon with salami.