Pavlova with Berry Compote
- Berry Compote
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp water
- 250g mixed berries
- 1 Tbsp orange liqueur or orange juice
- 4 egg whites
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice or vinegar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Whipped cream, to serve
Berry Compote Method:
1. In a saucepan over a medium heat, stir sugar and water until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Add half the berries and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add juice or liqueur and remaining berries. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, until fruit is just softened. Carefully pour into an airtight container or jar and refrigerate until ready for serving.
1. Preheat oven to 150°C (130°C fan-forced). Line an oven tray with baking paper.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites in a large bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well until sugar dissolves and egg whites are thick and glossy. Beat in juice or vinegar and vanilla extract.
3. Spoon mixture onto prepared oven tray, spreading to form a 20cm round with a slight recess in the middle. Bake for 20 minutes.
4. Reduce oven to 120°C (100°C fan-forced). Bake for a further 55-60 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave to cool with the door ajar.
5. Store in an airtight container until ready to serve (for up to two months). To serve, place pavlova on a serving platter. Top with whipped cream and berry compote.
• To achieve the best volume of foam, make sure the mixing bowl and beaters are clean and dry.
• Make extra berry compote and set aside in jars to give as delicious gifts!