- Butter, for greasing
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 large over-ripe banana
- 2 cups fresh gluten-free bread, crumbled into breadcrumbs
- 2 cups mixed dried fruit
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Store-bought custard, to serve
- Mint leaves, for garnish
1. Lightly grease a 5-cup capacity pudding basin.
2. Combine the milk and baking soda in a medium-sized bowl. Add the banana. Mix well.
3. In a separate, large bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, fruit, spices and banana mixture. Mix well.
4. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pudding basin. Cover the top with a layer of baking paper and foil, secure with some kitchen string or a lid.
5. Place the basin in a large saucepan with enough boiling water to come halfway up the side of the basin. Boil, covered, for 2 hours. Replenish with boiling water as necessary during cooking to maintain the water level.
6. Remove the pudding from the basin. Serve with warm custard and garnish with mint leaves.
To store: Keep pudding in baking paper, wrap with a layer of cling wrap and tin foil. Store pudding in a dark, dry, cool place like your pantry.
To reheat: Heat in the microwave on high for 4 minutes. Stand to cool for 3 minutes, then serve.
Tip: If you don't need to make this gluten free, you can use standard breadcrumbs.