Vegetarian Pumpkin Tart
- 2 cups pumpkin, peeled, deseeded and diced in to 2cm cubes
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 ½ sheets flaky puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup ricotta
- ¼ cup black olives, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 100g feta, crumbled
- 1 Tbsp pine nuts
- Sprinkle of fresh or dried thyme
- Handful of basil leaves, shredded
How to use up your Fruit and Vegetables
1. Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan-forced).
2. Toss the pumpkin, oil, salt and pepper in a roasting pan and roast for 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, place the pastry sheets on a greased baking tray. Prick the base all over with a fork. Score a ½ cm border around the edge with a butter knife. Take care not to cut all the way through. Brush the edges with egg, keeping the rest of the egg aside.
4. Mix the remaining egg with the ricotta and spread over the pastry, inside the border.
5. Scatter the roasted pumpkin pieces over the ricotta, and then add olives, tomatoes, crumbled feta, pine nuts and thyme.
6. Reduce oven to 210°C (190°C fan-forced) and bake the tart for 25 minutes or until pastry has risen and is golden brown.
7. Scatter with basil and serve warm or cold.
Tip: Store any leftover feta in a container of olive oil to make it last longer. You can also add flavourings to the oil such as your favourite herbs or garlic.