Little Cakes of Horror
- 125 g butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 36 (120g) sour worms
- 6 large white marshmallows
- 6 black sweets
- white writing icing
- Buttercream icing
- 185 g butter, softened
- 2 1/4 cups icing sugar
- Green food colouring
- Red food colouring
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line a 12-hole (1/3 cup/80ml) muffin pan with paper cases.
2. Beat butter, vanilla and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until combined between additions.
3. Stir in sifted flour and milk in two batches. Divide mixture among the paper cases. Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
4. Turn the cakes, top-side up onto a wire rack to cool.
Butter cream steps:
1. Meanwhile, beat butter in a small bowl with an electric mixer until as white as possible. Gradually beat in half the sifted icing sugar, milk, then remaining icing sugar.
2. Place half the Butter Cream in a small bowl. Tint one bowl green and the other red.
3. Cut a 1.5cm-deep hollow from the centre of six cakes. Spread green Butter Cream over cakes. Position sour worms in the hollows.
4. Spread red Butter Cream over the remaining six cakes. Trim pointy tops of marshmallow; centre on cakes for white of eyes. Position sweets on marshmallows to form pupils.
5. Use white icing to pipe veins around eyes.
6. Uniced cakes suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.
- If icing becomes too runny, add a little more sifted icing sugar.