Gluten Free ‘Mac’ and Cheese
- 4 rashers streaky bacon
- 1 cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 250 g cream cheese
- 1 cup Mozzarella, Gouda or Gruyere cheese, grated
- 2 Tbsp ground almonds
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- handful fresh parsley, roughly chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C or fan-forced 160°C.
2. Spread out the rashers of bacon on a baking rack and grill for 8-10 minutes, until golden and crispy. Allow to cool slightly, then chop into small pieces.
3. Bring a large pot of water to the boil, add a pinch of salt and cook the cauliflower florets for 5 minutes, until just tender. Drain and set aside.
4. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and brown the onions and garlic for 3-4 minutes, until softened. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat, add the cream cheese and mix thoroughly until well combined.
5. Add the drained cauliflower, nutmeg and grated cheese of your choice to the cream cheese mixture. Toss well, and transfer to a baking dish.
6. In a bowl, combine the bacon, ground almonds and Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the bacon over the cauliflower.
7. Place the baking dish back under the grill and bake for 10 minutes, until bubbling and golden brown. Top with a sprinkling of fresh parsley.
Tip: Make this dish when you have leftover pork roast, and chop up pork crackling instead of bacon for a super crunchy, gluten free topping. By using cauliflower instead of pasta in this tasty version of ‘Mac’ & Cheese, you’re not only instantly increasing your 5+ a day intake, you’re creating a gluten-free, lower-carb meal. This dish doesn’t scrimp on flavour and even the kids will love it.