Nutty Choc Orange Cake
- Butter, for greasing + 250g butter, softened for recipe
- 1 ½ cups blanched almonds
- 2 ½ cups walnuts
- 200g dark eating chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 Tbsp finely grated orange rind
- Icing sugar, for dusting
How to make Nutty Choc-Orange Cake
1. Preheat oven to 140°C (120°C fan-forced). Grease a deep 23cm-square cake pan. Line base and sides with baking paper.
2. Blend or process nuts and chocolate until finely chopped.
3. Beat butter, vanilla and sugar in a medium-sized bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating between each until just combined. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Stir in chocolate mixture and rind.
4. Beat egg whites in a separate bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gently fold half the egg whites into chocolate mixture, then the other half.
5. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake, uncovered, for 1¼ hours. Leave to cool to room temperature in the pan, then cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
6. To serve, cut cake into squares and serve dusted with icing sugar, if desired.
Tip: This is great to have for afternoon tea, in the lunchbox or with whipped cream for dessert.