Roasted Tomato and Basil Quiches
- Butter or cooking oil spray, for greasing
- 3-4 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- ½ Tbsp olive oil
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup cream
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves rolled together into a bundle and finely sliced, plus extra to serve
How to Grease and Line Baking Tins
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C (200°C fan-forced). Grease the holes of a 12-hole muffin pan or mini quiche pans lightly with butter or cooking spray.
2. Line the pans with pastry, jig-sawing the pastry together and re-rolling the trimmings so not to waste any. Chill the lined pans in the freezer while you prepare the filling.
3. Toss the tomatoes lightly in a bowl with the olive oil and a pinch of salt, and place them in an ovenproof dish. Bake the tomatoes for 15 minutes, or until they are puffed and starting to collapse. Remove from the oven and reduce the temperature to 190°C (170°C fan-forced).
4. In a large jug or bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, cream, salt and pepper and half of the Parmesan cheese. Whisk the mixture well with a fork. Stir through the basil and set aside.
5. Divide the tomatoes between the pastry cases and pour the egg mixture over the top. Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan over each quiche and bake until the pastry is golden and the filling is set but still a little jiggly, about 15 minutes.
6. Serve the quiches warm or cold, with extra basil sprinkled over the top.
Tip: These are great in the kids' lunchboxes, and also make for a delicious morning or afternoon tea.