Asparagus and Pea Risotto
- 2 bunches asparagus
- 1L vegetable stock
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 25g butter
- 1 cup peas, thawed
How to Cut & Store Asparagus
1 Trim the asparagus. Slice the spears into half centimetre slices, leaving the tops longer for garnish.
2. Heat the stock in a medium-sized saucepan and simmer the asparagus for 1-2 minutes, or until they are just al dente. Remove the asparagus from the stock with a slotted spoon and set aside.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes until soft but not brown. Stir through the rice for 1 minute until the grains are coated evenly.
4. Add the warm stock, 1 cup at a time, letting the liquid absorb between each addition. Make sure the rice is always just covered. After 15-20 minutes remove the pot from the heat.
5. When the rice is cooked, add the butter, peas and asparagus pieces. Toss to combine, warm through and season to taste.
6. Serve immediately, in large bowls.
Tip: You only need to trim a tiny bit off the bottom of the asparagus stalk, about half a centimetre. If the stalk is thick, just peel the tough outer skin at the bottom of the stalk and the rest is edible - you’ll get a lot more asparagus this way.