Corn, Spinach and Bacon Muffins
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 3 bacon rashers, rind removed, finely chopped
- 150 g baby spinach leaves
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup grated tasty cheese, plus 1/4 cup extra
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup milk
- 125 g melted butter
- 1 cup corn kernels, drained and rinsed
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced.) Grease a 6-hole (3/4-cup) large muffin tray.
2. Heat oil in a medium frying pan over moderate heat. Add bacon cook, stirring for 2 minutes or until browned. Remove bacon and dry with paper towels.
3. Add spinach to pan and cook stirring for 1-2 minutes or until spinach wilts. Remove from heat, cool slightly. Using hands, squeeze excess liquid from spinach, chop coarsely. Combine spinach and bacon in a medium bowl.
4. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Add cheese, corn and the bacon mixture. Mix well to combine.
5. Whisk eggs, milk and butter in a medium jug.
6. Make a well in the centre of mixture and pour egg mixture into flour mixture. Using a large spoon gently fold together until just combined.
7. Spoon mixture into prepared muffin tray, Sprinkle with extra tasty cheese and corn kernels. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted at centre comes out clean. Stand muffins in tray for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.
By Food to Love