Mini beef and beer pies
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 rashers rindless bacon, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 500 g beef mince
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 375 ml beer
- 1 cup beef stock
- 4 sheets frozen shortcrust pastry, thawed
- 3 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Tomato sauce, to serve
How to Cook Perfect Mince
1. Preheat oven to hot, 200°C. Lightly grease three 12-hole mini-muffin pans.
2. Heat oil in a large saucepan on high. Sauté bacon and onion for 3-4 minutes until onion is tender.
3. Add mince. Brown well for 4-5 minutes, breaking up lumps with the back of a spoon as it cooks.
4. Blend in flour. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Gradually stir in beer and stock. Bring to boil, stirring. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, until mixture reduces and thickens. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Cool filling for 10 minutes, then chill until cold.
5. Meanwhile, using a 6.5cm cutter, cut 9 rounds from each shortcrust pastry sheet. Press 1 round into each muffin pan hole. Using a 5.5cm cutter, cut 12 rounds from each puff pastry sheet.
6.Spoon 2 heaped teaspoons of chilled filling into each muffin pan hole, brushing edge with a little egg. Top each pie with smaller pastry rounds.
7. Press gently around the edge to seal. Brush the tops with remaining egg. Using a sharp knife, make two small slits for air holes in the top of each pie.
8. Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden and puffed. Rest in pan for 5 minutes before serving with tomato sauce.
Tip: filling can be made ahead of time and chilled until required.
By Food to Love