Spicy Red Kidney Bean Casserole
- 2 Tsp butter
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 red capsicum, finely chopped
- 1 garlic, crushed
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 Tsp ground cumin
- ¹/₂ Tsp ground cinnamon
- ¹/₂ Tsp ground nutmeg
- 400g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- ¹/₂ cup vegetable stock
- 2 Tsp tomato paste
- ¹/₂ cup canned corn kernels, drained
- 2 tsp finely chopped parsley
1. Heat butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Cook onion, carrot, capsicum, garlic and chilli until onion is soft.
2. Add spices and stir. Cook for 1 minute.
3. Mix in the beans, chickpeas, tomatoes, stock and paste. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until beans and chickpeas are tender.
4. Add in the corn and stir. Simmer for a further 5 minutes.
5. Serve garnished with parsley.
Tip: This recipe is great to freeze. You can also freeze any leftover tomato paste in an ice-cube tray to use for another dish.
By Food to Love