Slow-cooker Beef, Mushroom and Red Wine Casserole
- 6-8 spring onion
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 375 g button mushrooms, halved
- 4 rindless bacon slices, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup dry red wine
- ¹/₄ cup tomato paste
- ¹/₂ cup water
- ¹/₂ cup caster sugar
- 1.2 Kg gravy beef, chopped in to 3cm cubes
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, thickly sliced
- 6 medium potatoes, halved
- ¹/₂ cup chopped Italian parsley
- Salt and pepper
How to Chop Herbs
1. Trim green tips from the spring onions, leaving about 8cm of stems attached. Trim the roots.
2. Heat oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Cook the spring onion stems, mushrooms, bacon and garlic. Cook until onions soften, stirring frequently.
3. Add in wine, tomato paste, water and sugar. Bring to a boil then cook uncovered for 2 minutes. Set aside.
4. Place beef, fennel and the onion mixture in a slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low for 8 hours.
5. When just about ready to serve, bring a pot of water to boil on high heat, add potatoes. Cook until semi-soft and drain.
6. Serve casserole with potatoes on the side and sprinkle with parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
Tip: You could also use chuck steak or any stewing steak instead of gravy beef
By Food to Love