Roasted Pumpkin and Bacon Pasta Bake
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 Kg pumpkin, deseeded, peeled and chopped in to 2cm cubes
- ¹/₂ cup chicken stock
- 3 cups cooked pasta (shells / spirals)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper
- 2 rashers rindless bacon, chopped
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 30 g butter, melted
- 2 Tsp thyme leaves, plus extra, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced). Lightly grease a 1.5L baking dish.
2. Heat oil in a medium frying pan over high heat. Sauté onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes, until tender.
3. Add pumpkin, sauté for 4-5 minutes until lightly golden. Add stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 4-5 minutes until pumpkin is almost tender.
4. Transfer pumpkin mixture in to a large bowl and roughly mash. Add pasta, eggs and half a cup of breadcrumbs. Season to taste. Mix carefully and spoon into the baking dish.
5. In a small bowl combine remaining breadcrumbs, bacon, Parmesan, butter and thyme. Sprinkle over the pumpkin mixture.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden. Garnish with extra thyme before serving.
Tip: To store cut pumpkin, wrap it tightly in cling wrap and keep it in the fridge.
By Food to Love