Hearty Tomato and Chorizo Soup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 chorizo sausage, scored and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 L chicken stock
- 1 cup risoni (or pasta shells/bows)
- 3 cups silverbeet, shredded
- 1 large carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Salt and pepper
- To serve:
- 1 Crusty bread
- Grated Parmesan cheese, if desired
1. Heat oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Add onion and cook on low for 2-4 minutes, or until soft. Add chorizo and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until browned. Drain off excess oil.
2. Add garlic and cook for a further 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and stock and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat and add risoni. Simmer for 5 minutes, or until nearly tender.
4. Stir through silverbeet, carrot and peas. Cook for a further 2 minutes. Season to taste.
5. To serve, ladle soup into bowls and serve with crusty bread and grated Parmesan, if desired.
Tip: Placing carrots in an airtight container lined with a paper towel will extend their life for up to 10 times longer than if you just keep them loose in the fridge
By Food to Love