Hearty Beef, Vegetable and Barley Soup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 kg beef chuck steak, trimmed of fat, cubed
- 200 g button mushrooms, quartered
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 3 celery stalks, trimmed, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 L beef stock
- ³/₄ cup barley pearl
- 2 sprigs thyme, stalks removed
- 1 bay leaf
- To serve:
- chopped parsley
- sliced baguette, grilled
1. In a large, heavy-based saucepan, heat oil over a high heat. Brown half of the beef for 3-4 minutes, then remove from pan. Repeat with the other half.
2. In the same pan, sauté mushrooms, onions, celery, carrot, and garlic for 3-4 minutes until onion softens.
3. Return beef to pan. Add stock, water, pearl barley, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then simmer, partially covered, for 90 minutes, stirring occasionally until the beef is tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Remove bay leaf. Garnish soup with parsley and serve with grilled baguette on the side.
Tip: If you ever have leftover stock, freeze it in an ice-cube tray or zip-lock bag so you can use it next time a recipe calls for stock.
By Food to Love