Chicken and Chickpea Casserole
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 500 g chicken thigh fillets, halved
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 1 cm fresh ginger, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 ¹/₂ cup chicken stock
- 2 courgettes, chopped
- 2 cups couscous
- Coriander leaves, to garnish
How to Use Leftover Chicken
1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over high heat. Cook chicken for 4-5 minutes, turning, until well browned. Transfer to a plate.
2. Reduce heat to medium. In the same pan, sauté onion, garlic, chilli, ginger and cumin for 3-4 minutes. Cook until onion is soft.
3. Return chicken to pan and add tomatoes, chickpeas and stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes.
4. Add courgettes and stir through. Simmer for a further 10-15 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
5. In the meantime, cook the couscous according to packet instructions.
6. To serve, sprinkle coriander over the chicken and have with couscous on the side.
Tip: This recipe could also be made with chicken breasts, just slice in half horizontally and cut into 3–4cm strips.
By Food to Love