Baked Chicken Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 300g can corn kernels, drained
- 125g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red capsicum, deseeded, chopped
- 60g butter
- ¹/₄ cup plain flour
- 2 ¹/₂ cups milk
- 1 cup grated tasty cheese
- ¹/₂ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 250g spiral pasta, cooked, drained and kept hot
- 1 small cooked chicken, skin removed, flesh shredded
- ¹/₂ cup frozen peas, (optional)
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- Salad or steamed vegetables, to serve, if desired
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
2. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté corn, mushrooms and capsicum for 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
3. In the same saucepan, melt the butter. Add the flour and stir. Cook for 1 minute, continuously stirring.
4. Remove from heat and whisk in milk until smooth. Return to heat and cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Stir in half of both cheeses until melted and combined.
5. Remove from heat and add pasta, corn mixture, chicken and peas. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour into a 2L ovenproof dish.
6. Combine remaining cheese, breadcrumbs and parsley in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the pasta. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden. Serve with salad or steamed vegetables, if desired.
Tip: If preferred, use low-fat dairy products and a reduced-fat spread instead of butter
By Food to Love