Creamy Mustard and Leek Chicken with Black Rice
- 1 cup Delmaine Black Rice
- 2 cups water, plus 1/2 cup extra
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large leek, washed and very finely sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 500 g Waitoa Free Range Skinless Chicken Breast, chopped
- 5 tsp Colman’s English Mustard
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 400 g white mushrooms, sliced
- 3/4 cup Homebrand Frozen Peas
- 3 Tbsp (80g) light cream for cooking
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
- Healthy Food Guide magazine
Rinse rice until water runs clear. Add rice and 2 cups water to a saucepan. Bring to the boil, reduce to simmer, and cover. Simmer for 25 minutes then remove from heat, covered, and let stand for 10-15 mins before fluffing with a fork.
Once rice has been simmering for about 5 minutes, heat oil in a large non-stick pan, add leek and garlic. Cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes or until leeks are soft.
Add chicken and mustard to the pan, cook for around 5 minutes, allowing the chicken to lightly brown all over.
Add the mushrooms to the chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring from time to time. Add peas and 1/2 cup water and cook for 8-10 minutes over a low heat until chicken is cooked through.
Add cream and cook for another minute, then serve with rice. Garnish with parsley.
Tip: Try Ceres Organics Brown Basmati Rice as an alternative to black rice.
By The Healthy Food Guide TV Series