Beef & Broccoli Pies with Slaw
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 carrot, grated
- 400g beef mince
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 Tbsp Worcester sauce
- 1 Tbsp cornflour mixed with 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup small broccoli florets, blanched
- flour for dusting
- milk for brushing
- 400g puff pastry
- 1/2 cabbage, shredded finely
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup french dressing
- 1/4 cup tomato relish, to serve
1. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and carrot cooking for 3-4 minutes until softened and lightly browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
2. Add mince to the pan, cooking until browned through. Add onion, stock and Worcester sauce. Bring to a simmer for 4 minutes. Stir through the cornflour and allow the mixture to thicken. Set aside to cool. Add the broccoli and stir.
3. Preheat oven to 200?C. Lightly grease 4 pie dishes.
4. On a lightly floured bench roll the pastry. Cut pieces to line the pie tins and four tops.
5. Fill the bases with mince mixture. Brush the edges with milk and press on the top pastry with a fork.
6. Use any leftover pastry to decorate the pies. Brush with milk and place into the oven for 20 minutes or until puffed and golden.
7. To make the slaw, combine cabbage, spring onions, parsley and French dressing.
8. Serve pies hot with slaw and tomato relish on the side.
Tip: Don’t have 4 individual pie dishes? Make one large pie instead using a 20cm springform tin.