Barbecued Pork Spareribs with Coleslaw
- 2kg slab pork spareribs
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp American mustard
- 1 tsp cracked pepper
- 2 fresh small red chillies, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 red cabbage, shredded finely
- 3 spring onions, sliced thinly
1. To make barbecue sauce, place tomato sauce, vinegar, olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, mustard, pepper, chillies, garlic and lemon juice in a bowl and combine well.
2. Place full slab of ribs in a large baking dish and pour barbecue sauce over ribs. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight, turning ribs occasionally.
3. To make the coleslaw, place sour cream, lemon juice and 2 Tbsp water in a screwtop jar, shake well. Place cabbage and spring onion in a large bowl with dressing, toss gently to combine.
4. Remove the ribs from the marinade, shaking off any excess sauce. Reserve the marinade in a small pot.
5. Preheat a barbecue to a medium heat. Oil the grill plate and cook ribs for 40 minutes, turning every few minutes to ensure they don’t burn, brushing occasionally with a little reserved marinade as they cook.
6. Bring remaining barbecue sauce to the boil (about 4 minutes) or until sauce thickens slightly.
7. Brush some of the sauce over the ribs then cut them into serving-sized pieces. Serve with coleslaw and remaining hot barbecue sauce on the side.