Beetroot, Feta and Walnut Tarts
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- ½ Tbsp mustard seeds
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry, defrosted
- 450g can of sliced beetroot, drained and diced
- 75g feta
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 Tbsp rosemary sprigs
- ½ Tbsp olive oil
1. For the onion jam, place the onions, brown sugar, mustard seeds, water, vinegar and salt into a small saucepan and simmer gently for around 45 minutes. Leave to cool.
2. Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced). Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
3. Cut the puff pastry into quarters and score a square 1cm border around the edge of each square, creating a ‘frame’. Place each piece of pastry on to the baking paper.
4. Place beetroot in a bowl. Crumble over half the feta, and add walnuts and rosemary. Add oil and toss gently to mix.
5. Spread each pastry square with one heaped tablespoon of onion jam, and a quarter of the beetroot mixture, being careful not to go into the ‘frame’. Repeat with the remaining squares and crumble over the remaining feta.
6. Bake for 20–25 minutes or until the pastry is well risen and golden.
By Food to Love