Spiced Chickpeas and Spinach with Haloumi
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 120g baby spinach
- 2 x 180g packets haloumi
- Crusty bread, to serve
1. Heat half of the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes, stirring until soft. Add spices and stir for 2 minutes, until aromatic and slightly toasted.
2. Stir through chickpeas, tomatoes and 1/4 cup of water. Cook for 3 minutes, until water is absorbed. Stir through spinach and cook for another minute, just until spinach wilts. Season to taste.
3. Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a non-stick frying pan on high. Cook haloumi for 30 seconds each side, until golden and starting to melt. Top chickpea mixture with sliced haloumi and serve with crusty bread.
By Food to Love