Moroccan Rice Stuffed Kumara
- 2 large kumara, cut in half lengthways
- 2 Tbsps oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 Tbsp Moroccan spice
- 1 ½ cups rice
- 2 vegetable stock cubes, dissolved in 3 cups of boiling water
- ½ cup chopped parsley, reserving 1 Tbsp to garnish
- ¼ cup currants
- 1 Tbsp slivered almonds
- Zest and juice of ½ lemon
- 50g feta, crumbled
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 80g salad leaves
- 1 carrot, cut into strips
- 1 avocado
1. Preheat an oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
2. Rub the kumara with oil and sprinkle with salt. Place onto a baking tray and into the oven for 40 minutes or until cooked through.
3. Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the onion and garlic cooking for 4 minutes until softened. Add the spice and stir through. Pour in the rice and add the stock stirring to mix. Cover with tinfoil and cook for 10-15 minutes until the rice is cooked. Stir through the parsley, currants, lemon and almonds, season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.
4. Scoop the center out of the kumara without breaking the skin. Mash the flesh roughly, add half to the rice mixture. Refill the kumara, sprinkle feta over top and place back into the oven to heat through and crisp up the tops.
5. Add the butter to the remaining kumara mash again ready to serve on the side.
6. Serve the kumara while hot with a side salad of lettuce, carrot and avocado.
TIP: If time is short place the kumara into a microwave for 2 minutes, turn over and cook for a further 2 minutes and they will be ready to split and scoop out the insides.