Chicken & Spinach Filo Parcels
- 20g butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- 400g frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- Zest of 1/2 a lemon
- 400g chicken breasts, cut in half
- ½ tsp dried tarragon
- 20g butter, melted, for brushing
- 8 x sheets filo pastry
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 60g salad leaves
- 1 carrot, grated
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- Salt & pepper to taste
How to Use Filo Pastry
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
1. Place the chicken breasts into a pot and cover with water. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes or until cooked through. Remove and cool until easy to handle and shred into pieces.
2. In a medium sized saucepan melt the butter. Add the onion and garlic cooking for 2 or 3 minutes without browning. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute. Slowly add the milk, stirring until the sauce has thickened.
3. Chop spinach roughly.
4. Into a large bowl place the spinach, lemon zest, tarragon, white sauce, chicken and season well. Stir to combine well and allow to cool completely.
5. When ready to assemble place one sheet of filo on the bench, brush with butter and top with another sheet. Place a quarter of the mixture at one end then fold and roll into a parcel. Place onto a baking tray, and continue to make the remaining parcels. Brush with the melted butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and crisp.
6. Serve with a green salad.
TIP: Wrap any leftover pastry well and use on another occasion. It will last in the fridge for 2 weeks.